Without a Canadian resident of SSN (Social Security Number) or ITIN, it is difficult to apply for a credit card in the United States. But it’s hard not to say that you can’t, as long as you put a little effort into it, there’s still a chance to apply for a US credit card. This Guide can also be applied by international Citizens/Residents from other countries.
Due to the different credit card markets in the United States and Canada, the credit card market in the United States is much more competitive than that in Canada, and the competition in the credit card market in the United States is also very fierce, so the credit card incentive in the United States is much better than that in Canada.
Updated in April 2020, if you want to open a bank account in the United States without going to the United States, you can consider opening an HSBC US premier checking account (it needs to be a premier customer in Canada).
- The basic step is to prepare a US address, open a checking account with a US bank, and apply for a US credit card. It will take about 1-2 months from the start of preparation for the success of getting the card.
- This article will focus on the application steps of the American Express credit card, which is the easiest to apply for;
This article provides us address, US bank account, US phone number, ways to complete card opening consumption, and transfer payment.
AMEX credit card in Canada
If you want to get America’s Amex credit card through global transfer, you must first have Canada’s Amex credit card and hold it for more than six months. If you don’t already have one, please refer to the latest Canadian credit card reward credit card recommendation.
First of all, you need a US address where you can receive mail. This address can be for relatives and friends. In addition, if you live near the US-Canada border, you can open a post office address in the US Note that US banks and credit card companies usually do not accept email addresses, so your US address can’t be an email address (many times, you don’t write an email on the address, and the mail collection company will take it first and then find the correct recipient according to the name, test it yourself).
If you don’t have relatives and friends in the United States, you can try some companies that have collection and forwarding mail services, such as these:
- The advantage of Pacific mail & parcel is that it is close to Vancouver on the West Bank and has mail forwarding service, so it does not need to run to the United States again and again.
- The advantage of 24/7 PARCE is that it has an address on both the East and West coasts of North America.
- Mymailbox, the advantage is that there is no monthly fee, TD Bank has a branch in Delaware, and Delaware has no sales tax, on the east bank. (Mymailbox is not willing to forward credit card now, only provides receiving mail service).
Note that for American Express, only the first credit card must be sent to the US address, because you need to verify your address. After the card can be requested to be sent directly to the Canadian address, just call customer service.
Commercial Mail Receiving Agency
For many US banks, mail will not be sent to the mail collection company, so you need to go to the USPS address lookup tool to verify. If Commercial Mail Receiving Agency displays N, it means that this address is regarded as an ordinary residential address.
Getting a Bank account number in the United States as an International or Canadian Resident:
It is suggested to go to Bank of America, other American banks are also available, and RBC and TD in Canada are all American branches. But there are several benefits to applying for boa:
- BoA’s checking account, only need to keep more than 1500 dollars, no account fee;
- When opening an account, you can use the Canadian address (Chase Bank does not allow this);
- With a checking account with boa, it’s easier to apply for a boa Alaska credit card. Now, boa Alaska’s card opening reward has been increased to 40000 (30000 before), plus the exemption of the first year’s annual fee, so it is very worth applying for.
Opening a bank account in the United States requires an individual to open an account in person at the branch. After opening an account, you can apply for an online account at the same time in the branch. Then log in to online banking to do two things:
- Set up an e-billing statement so that you don’t have to waste time and money to collect bills in the United States;
- Change the billing address to the US address, which will be used as a proof of address verification when applying for a credit card.
In addition, thanks to netizen Patrick for providing information, BOA can also request Pull Canada’s credit history to apply for BOA’s credit card, without the need to have SSN and US credit history, you need to go to a branch or call in person. Thank you netizens for providing information. You do not need to have a BOA checking account to open BOA Alaska.
Us phone number
Many banks in America text messages can only be sent to mobile numbers in the United States, including boa.
Applying for a US credit card without SSN (Social Security Number) For Canada and International Citizen:
For now, there are only a few U.S. banks that can apply without SSN, including BOA, US Bank, and American Express. Among them, American Express is easy to apply for, as long as you hold an Amex credit card from other countries (but not in Chinese mainland). The reason is that American Express is a global business organization that allows credit histories in different countries to be transferred to each other, so in theory, you can also apply for Amex credit cards in the United Kingdom, Singapore, or Hong Kong.
Choose a credit card
First, select the AMEX credit card you want to apply for. Please refer to the American credit card column.
1. At the time of filling in the personal data, SSN has now changed to optional. Just select I don’t have a credit history in the US, you can skip the SSN option. When you have completed your online application, you will be given a reference number and a phone number to call to verify some information.
2. After being transferred to the global transfer department, you will be asked about the Canadian Amex credit card number you have and the Canadian driver’s license number. In addition, you need to prove your US address. If you have prepared the US bank bill in advance, you can fax the bill to AMEX;
3. If you have not prepared the bank bill, you can also ask the customer service to verify with the Bank of America that you have opened an account through a three-way call (that is, AMEX’s customer service will call your bank of America at that time, and confirm your address with the direct counterpart on the phone);
4. Then congratulations, the credit card must be sent to an address in the United States, but not to a Canadian address.
In order to successfully get the credit card rewards in the United States, we must first complete the required opening consumption challenges. The easiest way to do this is to buy points while you have a discount, and plan a trip.
After having American credit card, a very real problem is how to make long-term payment. Paying a credit card bill can be paid directly with a bank account in the United States. The difficulty is how to transfer money from Canada to the United States (unless a large sum of money is deposited at one time); telegraphic transfer costs money, and driving by yourself consumes time.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
I am a crypto hobbyist, i offer Tips and Reviews on the best blockchain technology, crypto assets, emerging fintech trends, Country flags, banks virtual accounts, and the best Paying Legit Networks.
Check out my Latest Articles in the Following Categories here:
Cryptocurrency Payment System Countries Credit Card Reviews